Friday, May 21, 2010

Lucky to Have You

I have been told, on more than one occasion, by friends and family, ¨Those kids are lucky to have you.¨ Although this is very kind for people to say, I have found something else to ring much more true: I am very lucky and BLESSED to have these kids. If I look back on my life one year ago, I don´t think I could imagine the happiness and fulfillment I feel now.

This morning, I woke up at 5:30 a.m. to check chores. Every day, our kids get up around 4:45 to 5 a.m. to shower, eat breakfast, and do chores before leaving for school at 6:30. Everyone does their part; it is like a well-oiled machine. As I sat outside in the dark, I looked around and took a moment to count my blessings: Here I was in the middle of Mexico, with a cool breeze blowing on my face, being greeted by hugs and smiles (and maybe a few tired yawns). Instead of stressing about my next deadline or preparing for a client meeting, I was concerned with making sure each child had a hug and left with a smile on his or her face.

I think I like the change. No...I am amazed by it.

I know I have always had the pull to volunteer abroad. Just ask Amy, one of my best friends who studied abroad with me in Spain. After college, I tried to drag her back abroad, only to be greeted with her applying to grad school. Not knowing what else to do, I applied as well for Mizzou´s 4+1 program and took another year for school. It ended up being one of the best decisions I have made, but the idea that I needed to go back abroad and do something for others still tugged at my heart. It was as if I couldn´t shake it; it followed me every place I went.

Three years into the working world, this desire still persisted. If I had really taken time to slow down and evaluate (don´t laugh, Mom), I would have realized this was probably God telling me this was His will. I am coming to realize that He does put the drive and desire to do something good in our hearts. And, if we follow Him, we will be met with peace.

We will also, if lucky, be met with sleepy grins, hugs, ¨buenos dias,¨ and maybe even an ¨I love you!¨

3 comments:

  1. I am still struggling with my "pulls and tugs" I have. I am so happy that you have allowed yourself to be pulled and that they are so fulfilling and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Jane,
    Excelente el expresar en tu blog las experiencias de amor que vives en NPH-México. Será un placer leerte y saber como es que vas con tus actividades cotidianas.
    Saludos desde México DF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where are you? I am looking for a blog update.......

    ReplyDelete