Friday, February 12, 2010

Girl Scouts, Running, and Coco

When I first started this blog, I thought writing once a week would be sufficient. Wrong-o. So much happens in a week, but I'll do my best to recap.

This Wednesday, we went to see the girls get pinned at guías, which is their form of Girl Scouts. I have to say that I wasn't super pumped to go (I went to guías last Saturday, and it was like pulling teeth to get some of the girls there), but it was an amazing site. The girls were on their best behavior, and you could see the pride in their faces when they received their pins. There were a lot of guides from all over the world in attendance due to an international conference; they were the women who pinned the girls. After the ceremony, our girls were running around asking for photos with their leader and the other guides. It was in this moment that I realized that in many ways we serve the roll of the proud parent. We are the ones there to cheer them on, take pictures with their friends, give them hugs, and congratulate them. It was extremely humbling and exhilarating; this is why I am here.

****

Today I went to Miacatlan to visit the little kids and get a bit of work done for the library. I went on a run with a few of the volunteers, Julia and Joey, and we happened to run by a guy on a horse, a rooster running in a yard, and a woman making totillas by hand. Just another day in paradise!

****
Finally, we have a new addition to our apartment. OK, that is somewhat misleading. One of the directors has a new puppy, and since he was going out of town this weekend, we offered to watch her. She did not have a name yet, so we decided to name her Coco! Hope it sticks :)

****

I am loving Mexico and so glad I am here. We have our break this weekend after working 12 days in a row, so I am going to catch up on sleep and relax. I feel so blessed to be here and am so humbled to be part of the kids' lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment