Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Libraries and Earthquakes

This post deals with two completely unrelated topics, but both have affected me in the past 24 hours.

Two days ago, I was handed the keys to the “library.” Right now, the library consists of a few bookshelves in an open area, and the bookshelves have sliding doors on them that do not want to open. My job (apart from my communications work here) is to now start a “new” library and literacy program. Oh boy…

So, here are my thoughts, and let me know if you all have any to add!:

1. I am going to ask for a room to put the library in, one where I can shut and lock the door. Because some of the books are out in the open, they get dirty and are not well taken care of.

2. I am going to start a book club. The kids LOVE new books, such as the Twilight series and other “cool” teen books. NPH received money recently to buy books, so the director said I could give him a list of what I want.

I decided that the kids who go to the book club (1 day/week) will have first dibs at the books. Then, the others can use them. AKA: I am trying to motivate the “chavos” (kids) to join a group where they can read and critically think about the text.

3. Finally, Book It, anyone!? (Do you remember the ‘90s version of book-reading motivation?) I am going to try a program where kids can read books, write a report about them, and after a certain amount of books read, they will receive a special treat. Too bad we don’t have Pizza Hut here…

****

On to the earthquake part of this post. At app. 10:59 p.m. last night, I felt my first earthquake. My bed started shaking, and I called to my roommate to see if she thought it was an earthquake. It stopped after about 15 to 20 seconds. This morning, I looked online, and sure enough, there was an earthquake in Puebla, a town that is about a three-hour bus ride from here. It measured 4.8 on the Richter Scale.

That’s all to report from now. Please, please send ideas to me about the library! Also, if you have any book ideas for the kids, let me know! One thing I’m trying to think about: how to decorate. I wanted it to be calm and sort of Barnes and Noble-ish, if you know what I mean.

PS: Some people said it was hard to comment here, so please send me an e-mail with ideas!

5 comments:

  1. I think there should be chairs or cushions to encourage reading there if they want. Also, maybe have them make sticks to save the place on the book shelf where the books go. Are they too old for that? I thought that was cool in grade school. Maybe part of the book club could to make bookmarks. Or, the book club could make a poster with all their names and a drawing of their favorite book or something as decoration for the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about magazines? I was never really much of a reader, but I loved magazines at that age.

    Also, could you have some little snacks or drinks available to contribute to a Barnes and Noble-ish atmosphere? What about a few board games?

    These are just my initial thoughts. Maybe they're a little too far-fetched. I guess it also depends on the size of the room:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayne, I think there is a program through the Minneapolis Public Library that sends books to other parts of the world. I'll see if I can find it, but this might be a good resource for you!

    Miss you at the gym!

    Kristie

    PS - I'm reading your dad's book - very neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember BOOK IT! My silly teacher left the BOOK IT stickers unguarded on the table, which left me feasting on Pizza Hut for 4 months straight. Stupid Mrs. Glenn, smart little Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are the ages of the kids who'll be using the library?

    ReplyDelete